The place to access your Free Legal Rights Information

Download PDF

Child Protection Act 1999 – 1 July 2016

Child Protection Regulation 2011 –  19 January 2015


A person may notify the government that a child may require protection from harm. The government upon receiving the notification will investigate the matter and may take the child into custody. If a child is taken into custody, the ‘charter of rights for a child in care’ as set out in Schedule 1 is to be complied with. Note: The professions listed in section 13E of the Act have mandatory reporting requirements.

  • Sections 13A, 13B, 13C, 13D, 13E, 13F, 13G, 14, 18, 22, 74, 186; Schedule 1; Regulation 10

A corporation may apply for a licence to provide care services and an individual may apply to become a foster carer for children under the government’s custody or guardianship.

  • Sections 123, 125, 127, 131, 132, 133
Reason for law

To provide for the protection of children. (Section 4)

Relevant links

Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services


Charter of rights for a child in care

Queensland Family and Child Commission

The Office of the Public Guardian

Forms [Queensland Courts]

Abuse Publications [Crime and Corruption Commission]

Make a Donation [Save the Children Australia]

Create Foundation

Child Protection Practitioners Association of Queensland Limited

Kid’s helpline
Parentsline Services [Kid’s helpline]
Search for a Service [Kid’s helpline]



Gender Help for Parents Australia

Foster Care [Queensland Government]

Foster Care [Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services]
Resources and publications

Foster Care Queensland

Life Without Barriers

Key Assets – The Children’s Services Provider

UNICEF Australia

Pregnancy Crisis Incorporated

Relationships Australia Queensland

eSafety [Australian Government]
I need help with Cyberbullying

Australian Child Rights Taskforce

Media article

Nigerian startup iKON Tracker to launch from Brisbane to tackle kidnapping and abductions

What treatment do young children receive for gender dysphoria and is it irreversible

When parents disagree with doctors on a child’s treatment, who should have the final say?

Female genital mutilation is hurting Australian girls and we must work together to stamp it out


Subsection 98(2) appears not to offer any protection to a legal practitioner as it just reasserts that there is no liability where there is no negligence.

Section 99G allows the government department to nominate a decision-maker for a review decision. This may be contrary to the intent of Chapter 2A which relates to tribunal proceedings.

Suggested further reading



Note: Advertising on this webpage does not indicate that the entity advertising has any specialist expertise or accreditation. If specialist expertise or accreditation is promoted by the advertiser, they will have provided such information in their logo with no involvement from Access Point Law. It is expressly made clear that Access Point Law does not guarantee any level of expertise or accreditation of any advertiser and does not guarantee the accuracy of advertising information. You are encouraged to make your own enquires.

The author expressly disclaims all liability for loss or damage arising from your use or reliance on advertising information published at any time on this website.

Art Gallery

Chlid Protection

Artist: Hana Lee; Title: ‘Child Protection’ (c) 2014

Reading for Fun ->

Disclaimer: The information published on this webpage has been provided free for the benefit of the public and does not act as advice to any individual or other entity. If you require advice relating to your situation, go visit your professional adviser. The author and any third party advertising on this webpage expressly disclaim all liability for loss or damage arising from your use or reliance on the information published at any time on this webpage.

PLEASE NOTE: The information published on this webpage may be out-of-date. Please compare the currency date of the Act/Regulation against that published on the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel website. If you require access to Commonwealth statute law, please visit the ComLaw website. If you require access to the local council laws (by-laws), please visit the Local laws database.


Access Point Law | ABN 85 103 203 656
Copyright 2015 Andrew Bird