The place to access your Free Legal Rights Information

Coastal Protection and Management Act 1995 – 11 September 2015

Download PDF

Coastal Protection and Management Act 1995 – 11 September 2015

Coastal Protection and Management Regulation 2003 – 1 July 2016

Quick to view summary

The government is to prepare and implement plans to manage the coastline. The plans may include maps showing coastal information. The government may declare an area of the coastline to be a coastal management district which requires special protection or management. An erosion prone area may also be declared. Where a new plan or declaration prevents a proposed application going ahead, compensation may be payable.

  • Sections 20, 21, 34, 54, 70, 150, 151, 152

The seller of land must give the buyer written notice of an undischarged coastal protection or tidal works notice at least 14 days before settlement. Penalty – 150 penalty units.

  • Section 65

The government may temporarily occupy and use land to implement a coastal plan. Compensation may be claimed by the land owner.

  • Section 68

A person must not damage or remove vegetation from a sand dune without government approval. Penalty – 400 penalty units.

  • Sections 6, 69; Schedule

A person may apply in the approved form to government for an allocation of quarry material in tidal water. Note: other approvals may be required.

  • Sections 6, 73, 100A, Schedule; Regulations 9, 10

When seeking development approval for the reconfiguration of a lot, the government may impose a condition requiring portions of land be surrendered in the interests of coastal management. No compensation is payable.

  • Sections 109, 110, 115, 115B

When seeking development approval for the reconfiguration of a lot in connection with the construction of a canal, the canal is surrendered to the government as a public waterway.

  • Sections 9, 116

The local government is to maintain and keep clean canals.

  • Sections 9, 121

The government must prepare and publish a report on the state of the coastal zone at least every four years.

  • Section 166
Reason for law

To provide for the protection, conservation, rehabilitation and management of the coastal zone, including its resources and biological diversity. (Section 3)

Relevant links

Department of Environment and Heritage Protection

Forms: coastal management

Queensland Coastal Plan

Coastal Mapping

Erosion prone areas

Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO

International Seabed Authority

International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES)


Suggested link

App – Coastal Life of South East Queensland

Media article

Coastal councils are already adapting to rising seas – we’ve built a website to help


The practice of allocating quarry material in tidal waters could be reconsidered in the interests of the environment.



× Note: Advertising on this webpage does not indicate that the entity advertising has any specialist expertise or accreditation. If specialist expertise or accreditation is promoted by the advertiser, they will have provided such information in their logo with no involvement from Access Point Law. It is expressly made clear that Access Point Law does not guarantee any level of expertise or accreditation of any advertiser and does not guarantee the accuracy of advertising information. You are encouraged to make your own enquires.

The author expressly disclaims all liability for loss or damage arising from your use or reliance on advertising information published at any time on this website.

Disclaimer: The information published on this webpage has been provided free for the benefit of the public and does not act as advice to any individual or other entity. If you require advice relating to your situation, go visit your professional adviser. The author and any third party advertising on this webpage expressly disclaim all liability for loss or damage arising from your use or reliance on the information published at any time on this webpage.

PLEASE NOTE: The information published on this webpage may be out-of-date. Please compare the currency date of the Act/Regulation against that published on the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel website. If you require access to Commonwealth statute law, please visit the ComLaw website. If you require access to the local council laws (by-laws), please visit the Local laws database.

Featured image from Flickr Commons –


Access Point Law | ABN 85 103 203 656
Copyright 2015 Andrew Bird