The place to access your Free Legal Rights Information

Download PDF

Land Valuation Act 2010 – 6 December 2016

Valuation of Land Regulation 2003 – 1 July 2016

Quick to view summary

The valuer-general must decide the value of land for the following purposes: land tax, the making and levying of rates, and the calculation of rent for a Land Act tenure. The value of land is set out in section 7 of this Act. For non-rural land, the value of land is its site value. For rural land, the value of the land is its unimproved value.

  • Sections 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, 52, 72, 73, 75, 79, 80, 211

An owner of land may apply to the valuer-general to declare the land to be rural land.

  • Sections 12, 13

In deciding the value of land, the existence and effect of a registered easement must be considered as well as other rights affecting the land such as heritage agreement, heritage restriction, native title, etc. Note: The value of minerals, timber, etc is to be disregarded.

  • Sections 32, 33, 37

An owner of land may apply in the approved form to the valuer-general for a site improvement deduction. To be eligible, the site improvement must have been paid for by the owner in the previous 12 years.

  • Sections 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 258, 259

The valuer-general must not value lots in a community titles scheme separately but must instead value the scheme land for the scheme: (a) as an undivided whole; and (b) as if it were owned by a single owner.

  • Section 69

An owner of land may apply in writing to the valuer-general for a valuation amendment where the land has been permanently damaged due to flood, cyclone or some other adverse natural cause over which the owner had no control. Note: For an application to be considered, it must be made within 6 months after the permanent damage happens.

  • Section 90

An owner may object in the approved form and within 60 days after the day of issue to a valuation of the owner’s land.

  • Sections 3, 105, 106, 108, 109, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 147, 149, 150, 151, 152, 154, Schedule

The valuer-general may, if someone asks and pays the fee prescribed under a regulation, assess the value of land or personal property.

  • Sections 209, 210; Regulation 8

If a person acquires or disposes of land, the person must give the valuer-general notice in the combined form about the acquisition or disposal within 30 days.

  • Section 245
Reason for law

To provide for how land is to be valued for particular other Acts. (Section 4)

Relevant links

Statutory land valuations [Department of Natural Resources and Mines]

Search Annual Valuation Listings

Property sales and valuation products and services

Change landowner details

Valuation objections [Queensland Government]


Section 18 contains the phrase ‘bona fide’. This phrase may not be understood by members of the public.

Suggested further reading



× Note: Advertising on this webpage does not indicate that the entity advertising has any specialist expertise or accreditation. If specialist expertise or accreditation is promoted by the advertiser, they will have provided such information in their logo with no involvement from Access Point Law. It is expressly made clear that Access Point Law does not guarantee any level of expertise or accreditation of any advertiser and does not guarantee the accuracy of advertising information. You are encouraged to make your own enquires.

The author expressly disclaims all liability for loss or damage arising from your use or reliance on advertising information published at any time on this website.

Disclaimer: The information published on this webpage has been provided free for the benefit of the public and does not act as advice to any individual or other entity. If you require advice relating to your situation, go visit your professional adviser. The author and any third party advertising on this webpage expressly disclaim all liability for loss or damage arising from your use or reliance on the information published at any time on this webpage.

PLEASE NOTE: The information published on this webpage may be out-of-date. Please compare the currency date of the Act/Regulation against that published on the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel website. If you require access to Commonwealth statute law, please visit the ComLaw website. If you require access to the local council laws (by-laws), please visit the Local laws database.

Featured image from Flickr Commons –


Access Point Law | ABN 85 103 203 656
Copyright 2015 Andrew Bird