The place to access your Free Legal Rights Information

Download PDF

Residential Services (Accreditation) Act 2002 – 1 December 2014

Residential Services (Accreditation) Regulation 2002 – 1 July 2015

Quick to view summary

A person proposing to conduct a residential service in premises may apply to the government in the approved form for registration of the service. For the definition of ‘residential service’, refer to section 4 of the Act. An application must be accompanied by a building compliance notice for the premises issued within the previous 12 months; and the prescribed fire safety document for the premises. For suitability requirements, refer to sections 20, 21, 22 and 23 of the Act. For details of the prescribed fire safety document, refer to section 33 of the Act. If registration is granted, a registration certificate is issued. Note: A service may be cancelled by the government where the service is not being conducted and has not been conducted for at least 3 months. A residential service must also be accredited. There are 3 levels of accreditation pursuant to section 34 of the Act. All residential services are required to be accredited at level 1. The due date for applying for level 1 accreditation is the day that is 6 months after the service is registered. Note: Prior to applying for accreditation, the service provider must self-assess their service against applicable accreditation criteria. After self-assessment, an application for accreditation is to be made in the approved form to the government pursuant to section 47 of the Act. If accreditation is granted, an accreditation certificate is issued. It is a further requirement for a person to apply to the government in the approved form to be registered as the service provider for a registered service.

  • Sections 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 28, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 47, 48, 49, 61, 62, 74, 75, 76, 77, 83, Schedule 2; Regulations 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10

A person conducting, or who proposes to conduct, a residential service in premises may make written application (in the approved form) to the local government for the local government area in which the premises are situated for a notice stating whether the premises comply with the prescribed building requirements.

  • Sections 28, 29, 30, 31, 32; Regulation 4
Reason for law

To regulate the conduct of residential services to: protect the health, safety and basic freedoms of residents; encourage service providers to continually improve the way they conduct residential services; and support fair trading in the residential service industry. (Section 8)

Relevant links

For residential service providers [Queensland Government]

Residential services [Department of Housing and Public Works]

The Queensland Registrar [Queensland Government]

Suggested links




RealEstate TUBE

The Room Xchange


Servas Australia

WWOOF (Willing Workers on Organic Farms)





Residential Tenancies Article

QCAT: tenants experiencing domestic violence



× Note: Advertising on this webpage does not indicate that the entity advertising has any specialist expertise or accreditation. If specialist expertise or accreditation is promoted by the advertiser, they will have provided such information in their logo with no involvement from Access Point Law. It is expressly made clear that Access Point Law does not guarantee any level of expertise or accreditation of any advertiser and does not guarantee the accuracy of advertising information. You are encouraged to make your own enquires.

The author expressly disclaims all liability for loss or damage arising from your use or reliance on advertising information published at any time on this website.

Disclaimer: The information published on this webpage has been provided free for the benefit of the public and does not act as advice to any individual or other entity. If you require advice relating to your situation, go visit your professional adviser. The author and any third party advertising on this webpage expressly disclaim all liability for loss or damage arising from your use or reliance on the information published at any time on this webpage.

PLEASE NOTE: The information published on this webpage may be out-of-date. Please compare the currency date of the Act/Regulation against that published on the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel website. If you require access to Commonwealth statute law, please visit the ComLaw website. If you require access to the local council laws (by-laws), please visit the Local laws database.

Featured image from Flickr Commons –


Access Point Law | ABN 85 103 203 656
Copyright 2015 Andrew Bird